After leading Team O’Toole to an extra-inning victory against Team Zerkle to begin the day, the former UCLA standout decided she could do even more. And she certainly did, blasting two home runs and tallying 240 leaderboard points to lead Team O’Toole to a 7-3 triumph over Team Fischer in the nightcap at SDSU Softball Stadium.
Garcia, who earned MVP 1 honors in the opener, duplicated her efforts in the second game to give a league-high four MVP 1 awards this season. She also led her squad to 100 of the 120 possible win points in the victory.
While Garcia was the star at the plate, team captain Danielle O’Toole was putting her own stellar performance together in the pitching circle. O’Toole became the first pitcher to hurl a complete game in AUX Softball history, giving up three runs on 10 hits with three strikeouts.
Outfielder Victoria Hayward and middle infielder Sis Bates anchored the Team Fischer lineup in the loss, combining to go 4-for-7 with two runs scored and a walk. Both players authored a two-hit performance while Bates added a run batted in.
Rookie pitcher Mariah Mazon took the loss for Team Fischer after surrendering four runs on four hits with three strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Team O’Tooke broke a 3-all tie by scoring four runs in its final three trips to the plate. Garcia’s first blast, a solo shot in the fourth inning, broke the deadlock before outfielder Aliyah Andrews scored in the fifth for a 5-3 advantage. Garcia completed the scoring in the sixth inning when she hit her second home run of the night, a two-run shot into the left field bleachers with no outs in the sixth inning.
Garcia’s impressive night vaulted her 22 spots up the leaderboard and she now stands second behind O’Toole with 1,188 points. O’Toole, meanwhile, owns the overall lead with 1,252 points. Corner infielder Amanda Chidester also made a six-spot improvement on the league standings and ranks third in the circuit with 1,064 points.
Seven players reached the 1,000-point mark on the leaderboard after Thursday’s doubleheader.
Garcia became the second player this season to blast two home runs in a game … Corner infielder Danielle Gibson tallied two home runs on June 15 against Team Eberle.
Team O’Toole blasted four home runs in the game, matching a team single-game high this season … Team Ocasio hit four homers against Team Eberle on June 15.
Hayward now owns six multi-hit efforts in nine games this season.
Team Fischer left eight runners on base in the game.
- #1 – Rachel Garcia (Team O’Toole, +60)
- #2 – Danielle O’Toole (Team O’Toole, +40)
- #3 – Tori Vidales (Team O’Toole, +20)
The love behind a name: The Romero family
Parros scores thrilling game-winner for Team Read with under 10 seconds to go against Team Wood
Get in the Game
Join The Unlimited Club to unlock benefits for every Athletes Unlimited season by downloading the official Athletes Unlimited App.
- Exclusive Pre-Sale Window
- Access to the Athletes Unlimited App and Fan Leaderboard
- Receive Special Member Giveaways
- Newsletter -- the best way to stay up to date with the latest Athletes Unlimited news
- Unlimited Pick athlete news & access
Rookie benefits, plus:
- Founding Member Designation
- Contribute 10% to the Athlete Bonus Pool
- Club Vote: Vote on Game MVPs, GEICO Defensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year & more
- Early Access to Tickets
- Exclusive end of season auction with game-used items with 90% of funds going to the Athlete Causes program and 10% going to the Player Bonus Pool
MVP benefits, plus:
- Access to Ticket Concierge
- Athlete-used item contest*
- On-site Meet & Greets with athletes
- Preferred Parking**
- Player-only item, such as a backpack or hat
- Unlimited Pick: Signed Item***
- *More details to come
- **When available
- ***Once per year, only for Captain members