Athletes Unlimited is the first professional sports league to be organized as a Public Benefit Corporation and the first U.S.-based pro sports league to become carbon neutral.
As the Official Social Impact Alternative Bank and Official Sustainability Consultant of Athletes Unlimited, Aspiration is helping Athletes Unlimited examine its carbon footprint and develop a plan to reduce its impact on the environment.
Our climate footprint includes emissions from three main scopes:
- Scope 1 emissions are direct emissions generated from the use of company vehicles and fuel at stadiums during AU sporting events.
- Scope 2 emissions are indirect emissions from the consumption of electricity in venues rented for sporting events.
- Scope 3 emissions are indirect emissions generated from purchased goods and services, fan travel, business travel, NFTs, and waste generation – also known as our value chain.
In 2023, we completed our first comprehensive GHG inventory to account for emissions generated from its 2022 seasons.
View Our Sustainability Report
Our Climate Goals
We are committed to reducing our emissions intensity on a per fan basis from our 2022 baseline.
We have partnered with Aspiration to offer a first-of-its-kind reforestation rewards program to educate and empower athletes and fans around sustainability. Home runs, assists, 3-pointers, and aces all result in the planting of trees.
In 2022, more than 13,000 trees were planted as a result of this reforestation program.
Trees committed: 13,630 in 2022
- Basketball: 4,840 trees
- Volleyball: 2,130 trees
- AUX Softball: 1,790 trees
- Lacrosse: 1,890 trees
- Softball: 2,980 trees
Textiles & Sport Equipment donations
We carry over unused textiles from season to season and use all of our uniforms in athlete or fan giveaways, leaving very little textile waste. For the minimal textiles left each season, we donate them to local charities or youth community sports organizations. In 2022, we donated to the following nonprofits:
- Las Vegas Rescue Mission
- Harmony CDC
In 2022, Athletes Unlimited ensured that all venues were outfitted with water hydration stations, encouraging fans to re-use their own refillable water bottles, to further reduce plastic waste on site. This was also the case in our in-season athlete residences.
Through the comprehensive review of our Scopes 1, 2, and 3 emissions, we have identified several key initiatives to continue to draw down our environmental impact.
- To address excess emissions from category one purchased goods and services, we are developing a Sustainable Procurement Policy for all current and potential vendors.
- We will implement a selection hierarchy to choose vehicles that are all-electric, hybrid, or otherwise high-MPG to mitigate excess emissions.
- We will collect waste data at all venues and build toward improved recyclability and compostability.
- We will pilot fan integrations such as perks for making environmentally conscious decisions.
- We will work with athletes who are playing for environmental justice causes to uplift their stories and messaging.
View Our Sustainability Report