And it certainly showed on the scoreboard and the leaderboard as Team O’Toole outlasted Team Zerkle for a 4-3 victory in eight innings to begin the final series of the season.
Garcia, who accrued 228 leaderboard points, earned the win after throwing the most innings by a pitcher this season. The former UCLA standout spun 6.2 scoreless innings and scattered just three hits while striking out a season-high six hitters.
In addition to her performance in the circle, Garcia went 2-for-3 at the plate and was named MVP 1 for the third time this season to receive 60 points as part of her total.
Middle infielder Sierra Romero and corner infielder Amanda Chidester each registered two-hit performances for Team O’Toole, which outhit Team Zerkle by a 9-6 margin. Chidester earned MVP 2 distinction for the performance, while Romero was the MVP 3 honoree.
Six different players registered a hit for Team Zerkle. Rookie pitcher Georgina Corrick took the loss in relief after surrendering one unearned run on two hits over 4.1 innings with two strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED
After Team Zerkle forced extra innings by scoring twice in the top of the seventh inning, Team O’Toole secured the victory in the bottom of the eighth inning when Chidester singled down the left field line to bring home Romero.
Team captain Danielle O’Toole moved into first place on the leaderboard with her 80-point performance in the victory. She joins catcher Dejah Mulipola and outfielder Morgan Zerkle as the first players to reach 1,000 points on the leaderboard this season.
Thursday’s Series Three opener marked the second time a home run was not hit in a game this season, including the second straight game.
It also marked the third extra-inning game this season … All three games have needed just one extra inning to determine a winner.
The teams combined to leave 13 runners on base.
- #1 – Rachel Garcia (Team O’Toole, +60)
- #2 – Amanda Chidester (Team O’Toole, +40)
- #3 – Sierra Romero (Team O’Toole, +20)
'We have to be seen': Aleshia Ocasio uses platform to empower change
Hawkins sets single-game points record in 98-85 win
In final draft, Osterman changes course and selects Haylie Wagner first overall
Get in the Game
Join The Unlimited Club to unlock benefits for every Athletes Unlimited season by downloading the official Athletes Unlimited App.
- Exclusive Pre-Sale Window
- Access to the Athletes Unlimited App and Fan Leaderboard
- Receive Special Member Giveaways
- Newsletter -- the best way to stay up to date with the latest Athletes Unlimited news
- Unlimited Pick athlete news & access
Rookie benefits, plus:
- Founding Member Designation
- Contribute 10% to the Athlete Bonus Pool
- Club Vote: Vote on Game MVPs, GEICO Defensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year & more
- Early Access to Tickets
- Exclusive end of season auction with game-used items with 90% of funds going to the Athlete Causes program and 10% going to the Player Bonus Pool
MVP benefits, plus:
- Access to Ticket Concierge
- Athlete-used item contest*
- On-site Meet & Greets with athletes
- Preferred Parking**
- Player-only item, such as a backpack or hat
- Unlimited Pick: Signed Item***
- *More details to come
- **When available
- ***Once per year, only for Captain members