“One of our biggest takeaways from Wednesday, we didn’t really make a lot of shots,” said Odyssey Sims, who picked up her first win as a captain this season. “We did a lot of team shooting (at practice) of just everybody making shots, being ready, shooting a lot of game shots off the dribble, standstill.
“The energy was high this morning from my team up until the game … It was positive vibes. The energy from all 10 of us was amazing and we were able to win all four quarters and we got the win.”
Team Sims prevented Team Harrison from cutting the deficit any lower than five points and at one point led by as much as 21 points in the third quarter.
Sims, Courtney Williams, Jessica Kuster, Nikki Greene and Laurin Mincy tallied double-digits for Team Sims.
“I’m proud of my team,” Sims said. “Five people in double figures. Love to see it.”
Kuster, who had 12 points, also recorded a season-high 11 rebounds for her first double-double of the season. It was her fourth consecutive start.
“One of the biggest things [Sims] really emphasized last game was that we didn’t have energy,” Kuster said. “I think we started the game just flying around on defense and it set a tone. It’s hard to win all four quarters, especially when you have the lead and I think we did a really great job of keeping the energy up.
The duo of Sims and Williams continued its dynamic ways as the pair combined for 39 points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists.
Down 67-53 entering the fourth quarter, Taj Cole went on an 8-0 run to pull Team Harrison within seven points, but was unable to put a stop to Team Sims’ offense. Cole’s 26 points marked a season-high.
“It was nice for me to play how I played but I got to give credit to the purple team (Sims). They shot over 45% the entire game and I just got to be better, figure out how to get my post players the ball,” Cole said. “So I’m gonna go back to the drawing board and figure out how we can get this win tomorrow.”
In addition to Cole, Team Harrison received 17 points from Jantel Lavender, who reached double-digits for the sixth straight game. Captain Isabelle Harrison added 11 points and grabbed 11 rebounds.
After disappointing losses for both teams to begin Week 4 action on Wednesday evening, each took the court aiming to score early points. As Team Harrison scored, Team Sims responded, matching with a basket of its own on several occasions. Team Harrison was helped by the three-ball early on from Kirby Burkholder, Lavender and Brown, but Team Sims used a 5-0 run to establish a lead and finish the first quarter, 23-18. Team Sims shot 47.4% from the field and 50% from the arc, while Team Harrison hit 46.7% and 60% from three.
Team Sims came out firing in the second quarter, opening with an 8-2 run forcing Team Harrison to take a timeout. With just over four minutes remaining, Team Harrison began to settle in and get shots to fall. Team Harrison used a 14-4 run to cut its 17-point deficit to five by halftime, 41-36.
In a game of runs for Team Sims, the third quarter featured another, outscoring Team Harrison 18-4 just over halfway through. The team outscored Team Harrison 26-17 overall. While Team Harrison shot 40%, Team Sims shot 47.6% to take a 67-53 lead into the fourth.
NOTES: Williams earned MVP 1 (+90) honors to add 539 points to her season total. Sims added 60 points for 545 overall, while Lavender took 30 points for MVP 3 and 205 on the night.
Team Sims became the second team to sweep all 300 win points after winning three quarters and tying the second quarter, and winning the overall game.
- Sydney Colson scores game-winning half-court shot for Team Hawkins, 113-110
- How To Go Behind-The-Scenes of AU Pro Hoops Week 1
- Gatorade, Hyperice, and Mariner Wealth Advisors named first three corporate partners for Volleyball season
- Cloud's first triple-double not enough in loss to Team Harrison, 85-79
Sydney Colson scores game-winning half-court shot for Team Hawkins, 113-110
How To Go Behind-The-Scenes of AU Pro Hoops Week 1
Gatorade, Hyperice, and Mariner Wealth Advisors named first three corporate partners for Volleyball season
Get in the Game
Join The Unlimited Club to unlock benefits for every Athletes Unlimited season by downloading the official Athletes Unlimited App.
- Exclusive Pre-Sale Window
- Access to the Athletes Unlimited App and Fan Leaderboard
- Receive Special Member Giveaways
- Newsletter -- the best way to stay up to date with the latest Athletes Unlimited news
- Unlimited Pick athlete news & access
Rookie benefits, plus:
- Founding Member Designation
- Contribute 10% to the Athlete Bonus Pool
- Club Vote: Vote on Game MVPs, GEICO Defensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year & more
- Early Access to Tickets
- Exclusive end of season auction with game-used items with 90% of funds going to the Athlete Causes program and 10% going to the Player Bonus Pool
MVP benefits, plus:
- Access to Ticket Concierge
- Athlete-used item contest*
- On-site Meet & Greets with athletes
- Preferred Parking**
- Player-only item, such as a backpack or hat
- Unlimited Pick: Signed Item***
- *More details to come
- **When available
- ***Once per year, only for Captain members