Team Drews, which improved to 2-0 on the week, earned the wire-to-wire victory by set scores of 25-17, 27-25 and 25-17. Team De La Cruz, meanwhile, dropped to 0-2 on the week.
Drews, who reached double figures in kills for the eighth consecutive match, finished with 20 kills on 39 attack attempts with just two errors. She also added four digs and two blocks.
Setter Natalia Valentin-Anderson registered 39 assists with nine digs and two kills, while libero Morgan Hentz poured in a match-high 12 digs.
Team De La Cruz was led by its captain as outside hitter Bethania De La Cruz tallied 13 kills with nine digs. Opposite hitter Erica Wilson notched nine kills and eight digs to go with 29 assists and eight digs from setter Carli Lloyd.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Team Drews used a dominating .345 hitting percentage and seven aces to sweep the match. After winning by a 25-17 margin in the first set, Team Drews held off a late rally by Team De La Cruz to post a 27-25 verdict in the middle set. The squad put the finishing touches on the victory with a 25-17 verdict.
Team Drews became the second team this season to secure a clean sweep of the 180 win points … Team McClendon posted a 76-58 victory over Team Lowe on Mar. 19 and took all of the win points.
The 18-point margin of victory by Team Drews equaled the largest margin in a match this season, matching the 18-point win by Team McClendon on Mar. 19.
Drews registered the fifth 20-kill effort by an athlete this season and became the fourth different athlete this year to reach 20 or more kills.
De La Cruz tallied 10 or more kills for the sixth time this season, including her fifth match in a row … During the current five-match streak, she is averaging 17.6 kills per outing.
De La Cruz dropped from the top spot on the leaderboard for just the third time in eight match days this season … She had held the No. 1 position since Mar. 23 before falling to third in the standings after Friday’s loss.
Hentz has tallied 10 or more digs in seven of her eight outings this season after finishing with 12 digs.
Wilson set a pair of career highs with her nine kills and eight digs on Friday night.
- #1 – Dani Drews (Team Drews, +60)
- #2 – Morgan Hentz (Team Drews, +40)
- #3 – Natalia Valentin-Anderson (Team Drews, +20)
Led by its captain, Team Drews secured all 180 win points in the victory. Drews, meanwhile, finished with 408 leaderboard points after claiming MVP 1 honors for the third time this season. Hentz, who claimed her fourth MVP award of the season, added 303 points to go with 288 points from Valentin-Anderson.
Record night for Sheilla Castro ends with marathon third set
Athletes Unlimited Lacrosse looks to grow the game for the present and future
Get in the Game
Join The Unlimited Club to unlock benefits for every Athletes Unlimited season by downloading the official Athletes Unlimited App.
- Exclusive Pre-Sale Window
- Access to the Athletes Unlimited App and Fan Leaderboard
- Receive Special Member Giveaways
- Newsletter -- the best way to stay up to date with the latest Athletes Unlimited news
- Unlimited Pick athlete news & access
Rookie benefits, plus:
- Founding Member Designation
- Contribute 10% to the Athlete Bonus Pool
- Club Vote: Vote on Game MVPs, GEICO Defensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year & more
- Early Access to Tickets
- Exclusive end of season auction with game-used items with 90% of funds going to the Athlete Causes program and 10% going to the Player Bonus Pool
MVP benefits, plus:
- Access to Ticket Concierge
- Athlete-used item contest*
- On-site Meet & Greets with athletes
- Preferred Parking**
- Player-only item, such as a backpack or hat
- Unlimited Pick: Signed Item***
- *More details to come
- **When available
- ***Once per year, only for Captain members