Previously, Madigan was the executive director of hockey management and operations for the New Jersey Devils as the righthand executive to the general manager, working on a multitude of projects such as the draft, trades, free agency, team services, culture setting, injuries, and player transactions.
Her new role will give her increased input into personnel and transactions, among other things.
She’s one step closer to the goal she set her eyes on at 16 years old: becoming a general manager in the NHL.
In 2017, she took an entry-level position with the New Jersey Devils and climbed her way up the corporate ladder but not without challenges.
Throughout her talk, Madigan shared her story of leading in a male-dominated industry. She touches on the internal challenges she faced while having a different background from her counterparts.
Madigan explains three things she had to work through in order to be successful: gain confidence, find her voice, and get over the notion that in order to be qualified, she must have played hockey.
Her journey taught her that playing the sport you lead is no longer a requirement. In fact, she has embraced the competitive advantage she has with a skill-set unique to her.
You can watch Madigan’s full TEDxBoston talk below:
Don't quit your dream job before you even startKate Madigan,New Jersey Devils, Assistant General Manager
Brie King: Church Planter by Day, Professional Volleyball Player by Night
Bethania De La Cruz crowned Season 2 Volleyball Champion
Cinco jonrones impulsan al Equipo Hayward a una victoria 8-3 sobre el Equipo Reed
Get in the Game
Join The Unlimited Club to unlock benefits for every Athletes Unlimited season by downloading the official Athletes Unlimited App.
- Exclusive Pre-Sale Window
- Access to the Athletes Unlimited App and Fan Leaderboard
- Receive Special Member Giveaways
- Newsletter -- the best way to stay up to date with the latest Athletes Unlimited news
- Unlimited Pick athlete news & access
Rookie benefits, plus:
- Founding Member Designation
- Contribute 10% to the Athlete Bonus Pool
- Club Vote: Vote on Game MVPs, GEICO Defensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year & more
- Early Access to Tickets
- Exclusive end of season auction with game-used items with 90% of funds going to the Athlete Causes program and 10% going to the Player Bonus Pool