Athletes Unlimited today announced its third pro sports league will be women’s lacrosse. The new league will be played from July 19 – August 22 following the 2021 World Cup at a site to be determined.
Athletes Unlimited Lacrosse will play a short form, fast paced format consisting of eight-minute quarters, 9v9 gameplay and a 60-second shot clock all housed on an 80yd x 50yd playing field. Athletes Unlimited Lacrosse will be comprised of 56 players that will roster four teams of 14 players each. Play will begin with draws at the beginning of each quarter as well as after every goal.
Twenty-two athletes are confirmed to play, they include:
- 2017 World Cup Gold Medalist and current member of the US National Team Kayla Treanor (Attack/Draw Specialist)
- 2017 World Cup Gold Medalist and current US National Team member Michelle Tumolo (Attack)
- US National Team Member, 2017 Gold Medalist, two-time National Champion for the University of Maryland Meg Douty (Defense)
- US National Team member, Two-time captain for University of North Carolina and All-ACC Team member Emily Parros (Midfield)
- US National Team member, two-time Goalie of the Year and National Champion from the University of North Carolina Caylee Waters (Goalie)
- US National Team member, All-American and two-time captain at University of Southern California Amanda Johansen (Midfield)
- 2018 National Champion and All-American at James Madison University Haley Warden (Midfield/Draw Specialist)
- Two-time National Champion for the University of North Carolina Sammy Jo Tracy (Midfield/Draw Specialist)
- 2013 World Cup Gold Medalist Amber McKenzie (Defense)
- 2013 World Cup Gold Medalist Katie Hertsch (Defense)
- Team USA U19 World Champion and All-American at Notre Dame Cortney Fortunato (Attack)
- Two-time All-Patriot League member and Two-time captain for Loyola University Katrina Geiger (Midfield)
- All-ACC, All-American from Syracuse University Halle Majorana (Attack)
- Maryland University’s Two-Time National Champion and 2018 Team Captain Taylor Hensh (Attack)
- Two-time All-American and 2018 Defensive Player of the Year (Pac-12) for University of Colorado Sarah Brown (Defense)
- University of Oregon single-season record holder for saves (179) and single-game record holder for ground balls (10) Brittany Read (Goalie)
- Two-time All-American and 2019 ACC Attacker of the Year for the University of Florida Lindsey Ronbeck (Attack)
- 2016 National Champion and All-ACC Defender for the University of North Carolina Charlotte Sofield (Defense)
- Two-time All-American, Midfielder of the Year (Patriot League) for Loyola Taylor VanThof (Midfield/Draw Specialist)
- All-region and Ivy-League record holder for tournament saves at University of Pennsylvania Britt Brown (Goalie)
- All-American for Loyola University Molly Wolf (Goalie)
- Winningest goalie in program history for University of Michigan Mira Shane (Goalie)
In addition, former CEO and Founder of the Women’s Professional Lacrosse League Michele “DJ” Dejuliis will also join Athletes Unlimited as a Senior Director of Lacrosse to help run the league. Dejuliis was a former four-time All-American lacrosse player at Penn State, is a member of the US Lacrosse National Hall of Fame and won a World Championships as captain of the US National Team in 2009.
“We are thrilled lacrosse has been selected as the third pro sports league for Athletes Unlimited,” said Michelle Tumolo, player and member of the Athletes Unlimited Lacrosse Player Executive Committee. “We look forward to competing and showcasing our skills for fans of Athletes Unlimited around the world.”
“Women’s lacrosse is one of the fastest growing sports in the United States and incredibly popular among young players and fans,” said Jon Patricof, CEO and Co-Founder of Athletes Unlimited. “Our leagues are all about excitement, storytelling and fan engagement so lacrosse is the perfect addition to our network of pro sports leagues which already includes softball and indoor volleyball.”
Athletes Unlimited leagues will feature a range of innovations to bring athletes and fans a unique and intense version of the sport. Individual athletes earn points based on team wins and individual performance and become the champions in team sports. Points can be earned on every play and the leaderboard changes constantly. Teams will change each week, with the top four athletes in the standings serving as captains and drafting their teams.
Team Brown Sweeps Win Points in 86-73 Victory
Tianna Hawkins and Courtney Williams © Athletes Unlimited, LLC 2022 / Credit: Jade Hewitt Media
On and off the softball field, Jackson leads with grace and passion
© Athletes Unlimited, LLC 2020 / Credit: Jade Hewitt
Taking the First Pitch Virtual: How Athletes Unlimited Adapted the Time-Honored Tradition
© Athletes Unlimited, LLC 2020 / Credit: Jade Hewitt
get in the game
Join the pro sports revolution, unlock benefits and more.
Be a part of the game, and get the ultimate fan experience.
- Contribute 10% to the Athlete Bonus Pool
- Club Vote: Vote on Game MVPs, Seasonal Awards and more
- Weekly Meet & Greets following each streamed draft*
- Early Access to tickets
- Access to additional merchandise
Unlimited Club Gold
Got more love for the game? Go for the gold.
- Access to Ticket Concierge
- Seasonal virtual events, such as multi-player meet & greets with autographs
- Yearly Gift: Athletes Unlimited T-Shirt
- One (1) UC Gold Box ($200 value) for the sport of your choice**
- 25% off additional UC Gold Boxes