SPARKS, Md. — Everyone who follows the sport of lacrosse knows the many talents rookie attacker Charlotte North can showcase in a given game.
Making her Athletes Unlimited Lacrosse debut, the two-time Tewaaraton Award winner displayed those talents among many of the game’s 40 minutes, leading Team Read to a 12-8 victory over Team Waters to end the opening day of the season at USA Lacrosse Headquarters.
North, who finished with a game-high 178 leaderboard points, served as an on-field facilitator during the first half by dishing out three assists while letting her teammates find the back of the net.
But, in the second half, North got into the scoring column by unleashing three goals, including a pair of two-point markers, to finish the night with eight points.
While North paced Team Read with her first hat trick as a professional, midfielder Ally Kennedy and attacker Shayna Pirreca chipped in a pair of tallies each. Goalkeeper Britt Read, meanwhile, anchored a defensive unit that conceded just three second half goals.
Read, the game’s MVP 2 selection, authored nine saves to finish the night with 171 leaderboard points.
A trio of players – midfielder Marie McCool and attackers Alex Aust Holman and Kenzie Kent – scored two goals apiece in the loss for Team Waters. Kent and rookie attacker Scottie Rose Growney each also added two assists.
After falling behind by a 3-1 count in the first quarter, Team Read started the second period with a six-point explosion, including a two-point marker by Pirreca, to claim a 7-3 advantage with 2:02 remaining in the first half. Team Waters closed the gap to 7-6 with three consecutive markers, but North’s three goals in the final 12:15 sealed the win.
North stands third on the leaderboard following her 178-point performance, while Read follows right behind her with 171 points. Kennedy, meanwhile, holds a share of ninth place after the opening night with 121 points.
North became the third different player in league history to score a pair of two-point goals in the same game … Attacker Shayna Pirreca accomplished the feat twice during the inaugural campaign while midfielder Amanda Johansen converted a pair of two-pointers against Team Wood on Aug. 16, 2021.
North’s eight-point outing matched the highest single-game output by an Athletes Unlimited Lacrosse player … Attacker Kenzie Kent had eight points against Team Wood on Aug. 6, 2021, scoring four goals with four assists.
There were a combined five shot clock violations in the game.
Team Waters outshot Team Read by a 28-15 margin, including a 17-6 count in the second half.
Read made seven of her nine saves in the second half.
Midfielder Marie McCool attempted a game-high 10 shots, including seven on goal.
- #1 – Charlotte North (Team Read, +45)
- #2 – Britt Read (Team Read, +30)
- #3 – Becca Block (Team Read, +15)
Alisha Childress comes out of retirement to join Athletes Unlimited
Brie King and Aury Cruz move up on the leaderboard in sweep of Team Lowe
Get in the Game
Join The Unlimited Club to unlock benefits for every Athletes Unlimited season by downloading the official Athletes Unlimited App.
- Exclusive Pre-Sale Window
- Access to the Athletes Unlimited App and Fan Leaderboard
- Receive Special Member Giveaways
- Newsletter -- the best way to stay up to date with the latest Athletes Unlimited news
- Unlimited Pick athlete news & access
Rookie benefits, plus:
- Founding Member Designation
- Contribute 10% to the Athlete Bonus Pool
- Club Vote: Vote on Game MVPs, GEICO Defensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year & more
- Early Access to Tickets
- Exclusive end of season auction with game-used items with 90% of funds going to the Athlete Causes program and 10% going to the Player Bonus Pool
MVP benefits, plus:
- Access to Ticket Concierge
- Athlete-used item contest*
- On-site Meet & Greets with athletes
- Preferred Parking**
- Player-only item, such as a backpack or hat
- Unlimited Pick: Signed Item***
- *More details to come
- **When available
- ***Once per year, only for Captain members