“We all kind of played together throughout the course of the 40 minutes. We never hung on each other too much as far as what we required and what we needed from one another,” Mitchell said. “I also think we prepared pretty well as far as the schemes, personnel, etc … That’s what really translated to our W today.”
Mitchell was joined by Kalani Brown, Destinee Walker and Tianna Hawkins in second point efforts on the evening for Team Hawkins.
Hawkins completed her sixth double-double of the season with 10 points and 11 rebounds, while Brown shot 8 of 9 from the field and added a three-pointer.
Walker posted her first double-double of the season, snagging a season-high 11 rebounds and 14 points, nine of which came from three-pointers.
“For me, my shot wasn’t really falling in the first half so I just wanted to find other ways to provide energy and to get my team going,” Walker said. “Honestly, I didn’t know I had 11 rebounds until the end, so I’m proud of that.”
On Team Sims, captain Odyssey Sims put up 15 points for her ninth double-digit performance. She and Sydney Colson each had eight assists. Courtney Williams collected eight rebounds and netted 11 points for her fifth double-digit scoring effort in her last six games.
Rebecca Harris and Nikki Greene also made an impact for Team Sims, each finishing with 13 points.
Team Hawkins closed out the first quarter with seven unanswered points to build their lead to 21-13. While Team Hawkins landed 50% from the field, Team Sims only managed to hit 23.8%.
Spanning the first and second quarters, Team Hawkins used a 20-4 run to lead by as many as 17 points at 36-19 before Team Sims began to find its groove. Team Sims improved to 41.2% from the field and ended the second with a 13-4 run, helped by Sims, to pull within six points entering the half.
Greene, Williams and Harris combined to set Team Sims on a 12-0 run in the third quarter, that was ultimately put an end to by Brown.
NOTES: Brown picked up 90 additional points from earning MVP 1 honors. She finished with 523 points on the night. Mitchell earned MVP 2 honors (+60) and tallied 479 points overall. Hawkins, who was named MVP 3 (+30), added 346 points to her lead at the top of the leaderboard
Team Hawkins won the first and third quarters for 100 points, and the overall game for an additional 100 points. Team Sims picked up 100 points for winning the second and fourth quarters.
Behind the scenes of life in the Athletes Unlimited Volleyball "Shield"
Con cuatro carreras en la sexta el Equipo Wagner gana al Equipo Fagan 6-2
Leah Edmond talks diversity and inclusivity in volleyball
Get in the Game
Join The Unlimited Club to unlock benefits for every Athletes Unlimited season by downloading the official Athletes Unlimited App.
- Exclusive Pre-Sale Window
- Access to the Athletes Unlimited App and Fan Leaderboard
- Receive Special Member Giveaways
- Newsletter -- the best way to stay up to date with the latest Athletes Unlimited news
- Unlimited Pick athlete news & access
Rookie benefits, plus:
- Founding Member Designation
- Contribute 10% to the Athlete Bonus Pool
- Club Vote: Vote on Game MVPs, GEICO Defensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year & more
- Early Access to Tickets
- Exclusive end of season auction with game-used items with 90% of funds going to the Athlete Causes program and 10% going to the Player Bonus Pool
MVP benefits, plus:
- Access to Ticket Concierge
- Athlete-used item contest*
- On-site Meet & Greets with athletes
- Preferred Parking**
- Player-only item, such as a backpack or hat
- Unlimited Pick: Signed Item***
- *More details to come
- **When available
- ***Once per year, only for Captain members