Runners often know the names of Bobbi Gibb, who was first, winning in 1966-1968 or Kathrine Switzer, with the famous tussle with Jock Semple in ’67. Nina Kuscsik is well-remembered for her victory in the first official women’s race at Boston in 1972.
Berman fits right in the middle of this trio. She began running at the encouragement of her husband, a former MIT cross-country runner. He set up her program starting with a mile, then five miles and then a faster five-mile pace.
She and Larry have also competed in nordic skiing and orienteering events, organized women’s cross-country races since the early 1960s, and in 1962 formed one of New England’s oldest running clubs, the Cambridge Sports Union.
On the 50th anniversary of her first Boston Marathon win, Berman is being honored in 2022 by the Boston Athletic Association, along with others, including Joan Benoit and Bill Rodgers (winners 40 years ago) and Meb Keflezighi, the 2014 champ.
Berman’s talk, alongside her husband Larry of 66 years, told her personal journey of how athletics and the pursuit of self-development made her a champion and pioneer for women in sports.
AUX Softball announces location at San Diego State
14 Holiday gift ideas for the athlete in your life, recommended by Athletes Unlimited players
5 Things you didn't know about Marie McCool
Get in the Game
Join The Unlimited Club to unlock benefits for every Athletes Unlimited season by downloading the official Athletes Unlimited App.
- Exclusive Pre-Sale Window
- Access to the Athletes Unlimited App and Fan Leaderboard
- Receive Special Member Giveaways
- Newsletter -- the best way to stay up to date with the latest Athletes Unlimited news
- Unlimited Pick athlete news & access
Rookie benefits, plus:
- Founding Member Designation
- Contribute 10% to the Athlete Bonus Pool
- Club Vote: Vote on Game MVPs, GEICO Defensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year & more
- Early Access to Tickets
- Exclusive end of season auction with game-used items with 90% of funds going to the Athlete Causes program and 10% going to the Player Bonus Pool
MVP benefits, plus:
- Access to Ticket Concierge
- Athlete-used item contest*
- On-site Meet & Greets with athletes
- Preferred Parking**
- Player-only item, such as a backpack or hat
- Unlimited Pick: Signed Item***
- *More details to come
- **When available
- ***Once per year, only for Captain members