SAN DIEGO — A home run in AUX Softball usually earns an athlete 40 leaderboard points. But, for designated player Taylor Edwards, her seventh-inning blast meant more as it gave Team Eberle a 6-5 victory over Team Ocasio in the nightcap of Monday’s doubleheader at SDSU Softball Stadium.
In addition to gaining the 40 points for the home run, Edwards also secured 60 win points as Team Eberle won the seventh inning in addition to the game. She also gained 60 points as the MVP 1 selection and finished the night with a game-high 160 points.
Edwards, who finished the night 1-for-3 with a run scored and three runs batted in, spearheaded a seventh-inning comeback for Team Eberle, which trailed by a 5-2 margin before scoring four runs in its final trip to the plate.
First baseman Tori Vidales paced Team Eberle by going 3-for-4 with a run scored, while catcher Gwen Svekis added two hits with a run scored and a run batted in.
Team Ocasio, which lost both of its games on Monday, was paced by left fielder Amanda Lorenz’s three hits, while catcher Jordan Roberts and shortstop Sydney Romero each added a pair of hits.
Pitcher Haylie Wagner earned the win in relief for Team Eberle, giving up one unearned run on two hits over the final two frames. Team captain Carrie Eberle scattered four runs on nine hits over 5.0 innings with three strikeouts.
Danielle O’Toole took the loss for Team Ocasio, giving up four runs on three hits in 2.0 innings of relief.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Trailing by a 5-2 margin heading into the seventh inning, Team Eberle scored four times with two outs to take a 6-5 lead. Vidales started the rally with an infield single before shortstop Caleigh Clifton walked. Svekis drove in a run with a single to right field before Edwards hit her three-run blast to left field. Team Ocasio got two runners on base in the bottom of the inning, but was unable to complete the comeback.
Edwards tallied a game-high 160 leaderboard points with her home run and MVP selection, while left fielder Megan Wiggins was named MVP 2 and secured 148 points. Lorenz led Team Ocasio in the setback with 110 points, while team captain Aleshia Ocasio claimed 100 points.
Each team finished with 11 hits in the contest.
Team Ocasio turned two double plays, while Team Eberle had a double play.
The teams combined to leave 17 runners on base and were 17-for-38 in advancement opportunities … They also were a combined 7-for-18 with runners in scoring position.
Eberle threw 101 pitches, including 59 for strikes, while Ocasio tallied 78 pitches with 43 going for strikes.
First baseman Danielle Gibson tallied a game-high 11 putouts and Sydney Romero posted a game-high six assists.
- #1 – Taylor Edwards (Team Eberle, +60)
- #2 – Megan Wiggins (Team Eberle, +40)
- #3 – Amanda Lorenz (Team Ocasio, +20)
Team Valentin-Anderson closes Week 2 with win over Team Stivrins
Aust's five goals lead Team Wood to thrilling win
Colson brings leadership, personality and basketball back to Las Vegas
Get in the Game
Join The Unlimited Club to unlock benefits for every Athletes Unlimited season by downloading the official Athletes Unlimited App.
- Exclusive Pre-Sale Window
- Access to the Athletes Unlimited App and Fan Leaderboard
- Receive Special Member Giveaways
- Newsletter -- the best way to stay up to date with the latest Athletes Unlimited news
- Unlimited Pick athlete news & access
Rookie benefits, plus:
- Founding Member Designation
- Contribute 10% to the Athlete Bonus Pool
- Club Vote: Vote on Game MVPs, GEICO Defensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year & more
- Early Access to Tickets
- Exclusive end of season auction with game-used items with 90% of funds going to the Athlete Causes program and 10% going to the Player Bonus Pool
MVP benefits, plus:
- Access to Ticket Concierge
- Athlete-used item contest*
- On-site Meet & Greets with athletes
- Preferred Parking**
- Player-only item, such as a backpack or hat
- Unlimited Pick: Signed Item***
- *More details to come
- **When available
- ***Once per year, only for Captain members