ROSEMONT, Ill. — If the opening game of the 2022 Athletes Unlimited Softball season between Team Eberle and Team Chidester is any indication of how the summer will go, fans will certainly be in for a treat.
The game featured home runs, stellar relief pitching and late inning drama. But, in the end, it was Team Eberle which came away victorious with a 4-3 victory over Team Chidester at Parkway Bank Sports Complex.
Pitcher Carrie Eberle set the bar for leaderboard points after racking up 208 points, including 60 points as the MVP 1 selection. She also secured 90 win points in addition to her 58 stat points.
Shortstop Hannah Flippen followed with MVP 2 honors to close her opening night performance with 170 points, while outfielder Victoria Hayward claimed MVP 3 distinction to finish with 148 points.
Team Eberle’s top three hitters – Hayward, Flippen and outfielder Jazmyn Jackson – combined to account for four of the squad’s six hits. Flippen went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a run batted in, while Hayward and Jackson each chipped in a hit.
Outfielders Haylie McCleney and Bubba Nickles each registered a two-hit performance in the loss for Team Chidester, which outhit Team Eberle by an 8-6 margin.
Eberle secured the win in relief, spinning 4.0 scoreless innings while allowing just three hits with two strikeouts. Rookie pitcher Mariah Mazon took the loss for Team Chidester after conceding one unearned run on one hit in 2.1 innings with two strikeouts.
After the teams traded three runs in the first three innings, Team Eberle took advantage of a passed ball and throwing error with two outs in the top of the seventh inning to take a 4-3 lead. Eberle allowed a one-out walk in the bottom of the frame before a double play ended the threat and the game.
Rookie pitcher Peyton St. George made her professional debut in the season opener, throwing 4.2 innings while earning a no-decision … The former Duke standout allowed three runs on five hits with four walks and four strikeouts.
The teams combined to get their leadoff hitters on base seven times … Team Eberle was 3-for-7 in having its leadoff hitter reach, while Team Chidester was 4-for-7.
First baseman Amanda Chidester and catcher Erika Piancastelli hit back-to-back home runs in the bottom of the third inning.
Shortstop Anissa Urtez hit the first home run of the season with a solo shot to center field to lead off the second inning, giving Team Chidester the 10 win points for the frame.
The umpires initiated a review in the top of the seventh inning when designated player Mia Davidson was hit by a pitch … The umpires ruled she was hit by the pitch to award her first base.
- #1 – Carrie Eberle (Team Eberle, +60)
- #2 – Hannah Flippen (Team Eberle, +40)
- #3 – Victoria Hayward (Team Eberle, +20)
- Strong blocking helps Team Larson win match against Team Lowe
- El Equipo Osterman remonta al Equipo Piancastelli con dos carreras en un bateo de Shelby Pendley
- Going Pro: Jordan Roberts – From shortened season to a sparked career
- Athletes Unlimited Volleyball unites homegrown legends and international stars on US soil
Strong blocking helps Team Larson win match against Team Lowe
El Equipo Osterman remonta al Equipo Piancastelli con dos carreras en un bateo de Shelby Pendley
Get in the Game
Join The Unlimited Club to unlock benefits for every Athletes Unlimited season by downloading the official Athletes Unlimited App.
- Exclusive Pre-Sale Window
- Access to the Athletes Unlimited App and Fan Leaderboard
- Receive Special Member Giveaways
- Newsletter -- the best way to stay up to date with the latest Athletes Unlimited news
- Unlimited Pick athlete news & access
Rookie benefits, plus:
- Founding Member Designation
- Contribute 10% to the Athlete Bonus Pool
- Club Vote: Vote on Game MVPs, GEICO Defensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year & more
- Early Access to Tickets
- Exclusive end of season auction with game-used items with 90% of funds going to the Athlete Causes program and 10% going to the Player Bonus Pool