Esther Wallace: Representation Is Hope
Esther Wallace is the designer and founder of Playa Society. She is an artist, turned athlete, turned entrepreneur. She created Playa Society to bridge the gap in women’s sports.
Wallace went from a kid who played sports to falling in love with basketball and earning a Division I scholarship to Fairleigh Dickinson University.
After a career playing and coaching basketball overseas, Wallace wanted to create the brand she needed when she was younger – one that would prioritize representation and recognition for female athletes. Playa Society is inspired by Wallace’s personal experiences and promotes equal access for Black girls to athletics and the growth of women’s sports.
Her talk focused on the opportunities and access basketball gave her, and how it encouraged her to stop hiding. She explains how representation goes beyond role models but powerfully affirms that there is no ceiling to our potential.
You can watch Wallace’s full TEDxBoston talk below:
Representation isn't just about role models [or] admiration. Representation is power and it is truth.Esther Wallace
get in the game
Join the pro sports revolution, unlock benefits and more.
Be a part of the game, and get the ultimate fan experience.
- Contribute 10% to the Athlete Bonus Pool
- Club Vote: Vote on Game MVPs, Seasonal Awards and more
- Weekly Meet & Greets following each draft
- Early Access to tickets
- Access to additional merchandise
Unlimited Club Gold
Got more love for the game? Go for the gold.
- Access to Ticket Concierge
- Seasonal virtual events, such as multi-player meet & greets with autographs
- Yearly Gift: Athletes Unlimited T-Shirt
- One (1) UC Gold Box ($200 value) for the sport of your choice**
- 25% off additional UC Gold Boxes
Already a member? Login here.
Need help? Contact us.