Wallace went from a kid who played sports to falling in love with basketball and earning a Division I scholarship to Fairleigh Dickinson University.
After a career playing and coaching basketball overseas, Wallace wanted to create the brand she needed when she was younger – one that would prioritize representation and recognition for female athletes. Playa Society is inspired by Wallace’s personal experiences and promotes equal access for Black girls to athletics and the growth of women’s sports.
Her talk focused on the opportunities and access basketball gave her, and how it encouraged her to stop hiding. She explains how representation goes beyond role models but powerfully affirms that there is no ceiling to our potential.
You can watch Wallace’s full TEDxBoston talk below:
Representation isn't just about role models [or] admiration. Representation is power and it is truth.Esther Wallace
Get in the Game
Join The Unlimited Club to unlock benefits for every Athletes Unlimited season by downloading the official Athletes Unlimited App.
- Exclusive Pre-Sale Window
- Access to the Athletes Unlimited App and Fan Leaderboard
- Receive Special Member Giveaways
- Newsletter -- the best way to stay up to date with the latest Athletes Unlimited news
- Unlimited Pick athlete news & access
Rookie benefits, plus:
- Founding Member Designation
- Contribute 10% to the Athlete Bonus Pool
- Club Vote: Vote on Game MVPs, GEICO Defensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year & more
- Early Access to Tickets
- Exclusive end of season auction with game-used items with 90% of funds going to the Athlete Causes program and 10% going to the Player Bonus Pool