The win evened Team McClendon’s record to 1-1 in the opening week, while Team Cruz slipped to 0-2.
Drews, the first overall pick in the Week One draft, finished with 14 kills and 11 digs to lead Team McClendon to the victory. Outside hitter Leah Edmond added nine kills to go with eight kills and two blocks from middle blocker Jenna Rosenthal.
Outside hitter Aury Cruz anchored three players with double-digit kills in the loss for Team Cruz, authoring a double-double of 15 kills and 10 digs. Middle blocker Molly McCage and opposite hitter Falyn Fonoimoana each added 10 kills, while libero Morgan Hentz tallied a match-high 18 digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Team McClendon held Team Cruz to a .046 hitting percentage en route to securing a 25-17 victory in the opening set. But, Team Cruz answered by posting a 25-22 verdict in the second set as opposite hitter Falyn Fonoimoana and middle blocker Molly McCage each tallied four kills to lead the charge. Team Cruz used seven kills from outside hitter Aury Cruz to claim a 26-24 verdict in the final set, but it was not enough to earn the match victory.
Two of the first three matches have been decided by a three-point margin … Team Cruz has been involved in both contests after dropping a 77-74 verdict against Team Lowe on Wednesday night.
Cruz posted the 11th double-digit kill effort of her Athletes Unlimited career.
Drews and Cruz became the fifth and sixth players in the league to orchestrate a double-double through the first three matches this season.
Crews authored the first double-double of her Athletes Unlimited career … Drews had 50 double-doubles in her college career at Utah.
Cruz also tallied her second career double-double in the loss … She had 12 kills with 12 digs against Team Larson on Mar. 13, 2021.
Hentz posted her second straight match with 10 or more digs … The former Stanford star had 15 digs in her debut on Wednesday night.
Middle blocker Taylor Morgan matched her Athletes Unlimited career high with three blocks while contributing three kills and three digs in the victory.
McCage fashioned her sixth career double-digit kill effort after finishing with 10 kills in the loss.
- #1 – Dani Drews (Team McClendon, +60)
- #2 – Morgan Hentz (Team Cruz, +40)
- #3 – Jenna Rosenthal (Team McClendon, +20)
Team Cruz won two sets for 80 points. Despite only winning one set, Team McClendon won the overall match, 71-68, to earn 100 win points.
Dani Drews led the way for Team McClendon, tallying 315 points with 14 kills, 11 digs and two aces. Libero Morgan Hentz dug 18 balls for 230 points. Jenna Rosenthal earned 218 points behind eight kills, two blocks and two digs.
Brown and Cole win last battle of the duos against Team Cloud, 97-88
Osterman pitches five scoreless in 11-3 victory
Kalani Brown: ‘Don’t Count Me Out’
Get in the Game
Join The Unlimited Club to unlock benefits for every Athletes Unlimited season by downloading the official Athletes Unlimited App.
- Exclusive Pre-Sale Window
- Access to the Athletes Unlimited App and Fan Leaderboard
- Receive Special Member Giveaways
- Newsletter -- the best way to stay up to date with the latest Athletes Unlimited news
- Unlimited Pick athlete news & access
Rookie benefits, plus:
- Founding Member Designation
- Contribute 10% to the Athlete Bonus Pool
- Club Vote: Vote on Game MVPs, GEICO Defensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year & more
- Early Access to Tickets
- Exclusive end of season auction with game-used items with 90% of funds going to the Athlete Causes program and 10% going to the Player Bonus Pool
MVP benefits, plus:
- Access to Ticket Concierge
- Athlete-used item contest*
- On-site Meet & Greets with athletes
- Preferred Parking**
- Player-only item, such as a backpack or hat
- Unlimited Pick: Signed Item***
- *More details to come
- **When available
- ***Once per year, only for Captain members