She was forced to leave her country as part of the mass evacuation of vulnerable citizens who faced targeted gender violence by the Taliban. Currently, she rides for Virginia’s Blue Ridge Twenty24, a national cycling team preparing for the Paris Olympics 2024.
— Rukhsar Habibzai (@HabibzaiRukhsar) November 10, 2021
Habibzai was the captain of her nation’s first women’s cycling team, a group of ground-breaking women cyclists who were nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2016 for their bravery and example for the rest of the world’s women to fight against gender-targeted violence and oppression.
She is a champion of the women’s right-to-ride revolution and has inspired many girls to take a stand. Besides being a sportswoman, she was in the dentistry program at Cheragh Medical University.
Habibzai’s talk tells her journey of setting her dreams to be a world champion cyclist, the backlash she experienced because of her dream, and how she plans to achieve it despite harrowing challenges.
You can watch Habibzai’s full TEDxBoston talk below:
get in the game
Join the pro sports revolution, unlock benefits and more.
Be a part of the game, and get the ultimate fan experience.
- Contribute 10% to the Athlete Bonus Pool
- Club Vote: Vote on Game MVPs, Seasonal Awards and more
- Weekly Meet & Greets following each streamed draft*
- Early Access to tickets
- Access to additional merchandise
Unlimited Club Gold
Got more love for the game? Go for the gold.
- Access to Ticket Concierge
- Seasonal virtual events, such as multi-player meet & greets with autographs
- Yearly Gift: Athletes Unlimited T-Shirt
- One (1) UC Gold Box ($200 value) for the sport of your choice**
- 25% off additional UC Gold Boxes