She began racing in high school when she was recruited by her school’s track and field coach and went on to the University of Arizona, where she was a member of the school’s wheelchair racing team.
Reflecting today on National Girls & Women in Sport Day, & how far we've come toward #TitleIXat50
All goals start with a spark 🌟 that is nurtured through mentorship, equitable access, and elevating the accomplishments of women
— Cheri Blauwet, MD (@CheriBlauwetMD) February 2, 2022
After graduating from Arizona with a degree in molecular and cellular biology, Blauwet became the first wheelchair user to attend Stanford University School of Medicine. She completed her internship in internal medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and her residency at Harvard Medical School, where she served as chief resident.
She now serves as a physician and associate professor at Harvard Medical School and Director of Kelley Adaptive Sports Research Institute at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital and Harvard Medical School.
Blauwet has become a global leader who leverages her personal and professional experiences to advocate for inclusion and accessibility across the fitness landscape, community and beyond.
Her talk illuminated the phenomenon of lowered expectations and its intersections of “isms” such as ableism. Sports are what broke this cycle for Blauwet.
You can watch her full TEDxBoston talk here:
Get in the Game
Join The Unlimited Club to unlock benefits for every Athletes Unlimited season by downloading the official Athletes Unlimited App.
- Exclusive Pre-Sale Window
- Access to the Athletes Unlimited App and Fan Leaderboard
- Receive Special Member Giveaways
- Newsletter -- the best way to stay up to date with the latest Athletes Unlimited news
- Unlimited Pick athlete news & access
Rookie benefits, plus:
- Founding Member Designation
- Contribute 10% to the Athlete Bonus Pool
- Club Vote: Vote on Game MVPs, GEICO Defensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year & more
- Early Access to Tickets
- Exclusive end of season auction with game-used items with 90% of funds going to the Athlete Causes program and 10% going to the Player Bonus Pool
MVP benefits, plus:
- Access to Ticket Concierge
- Athlete-used item contest*
- On-site Meet & Greets with athletes
- Preferred Parking**
- Player-only item, such as a backpack or hat
- Unlimited Pick: Signed Item***
- *More details to come
- **When available
- ***Once per year, only for Captain members