She is the medical director of the Female Athlete Program at Boston Children’s Hospital. Dr. Ackerman graduated from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and has over 20 years of experience in the medical field.
Her talk focused on how her experience as a rower and going through med school revealed to her how little is studied about female athletes and what their bodies need. This guided Dr. Ackerman’s career to found the Female Athlete Program and Biennial International Female Athlete Conference at Boston Children’s Hospital.
Dr. Ackerman’s work has focused on the clinical issues facing female athletes. She provides a vital scientific perspective to bring to the topic as more is discovered about the ways in which women athletes often differ in how their bodies and minds respond to and adapt to training so they can perform at their top level in competitions – physically and emotionally.
She was also a national team lightweight rower and now chairs the US Rowing medical committee, is a member of the World Rowing medical commission.
Her talk focused on her journey of female athlete advocacy and emphasizes the importance of true investment in the study, care, and other needs of female athletes in order to let them thrive.
Listen to Dr. Ackerman’s TEDxBoston talk below.
It's not good enough to hang a shingle, make a pretty sports bra or make a new sneaker. We need more than that; we need true investment.Dr. Kate Ackerman
get in the game
Join the pro sports revolution, unlock benefits and more.
Be a part of the game, and get the ultimate fan experience.
- Contribute 10% to the Athlete Bonus Pool
- Club Vote: Vote on Game MVPs, Seasonal Awards and more
- Weekly Meet & Greets following each streamed draft*
- Early Access to tickets
- Access to additional merchandise
Unlimited Club Gold
Got more love for the game? Go for the gold.
- Access to Ticket Concierge
- Seasonal virtual events, such as multi-player meet & greets with autographs
- Yearly Gift: Athletes Unlimited T-Shirt
- One (1) UC Gold Box ($200 value) for the sport of your choice**
- 25% off additional UC Gold Boxes