SPARKS, Md. — In sports, there are times where it is the collective team effort that propels a squad to a victory. Team Glynn provided the latest example by using goals from five different players and a nine-save performance from captain Kady Glynn to outlast Team Waters, 8-7, in Athletes Unlimited Lacrosse action at USA Lacrosse Headquarters.
The win allowed Team Glynn to even its record at 1-1, while Team Waters suffered its second straight defeat.
Glynn, the game’s MVP 1 selection, made four of her nine saves in the second half as Team Glynn held the opposition to just one goal in the final 20 minutes. The former Loyola Maryland product tallied 168 leaderboard points to lead all players, including 38 stat points.
Rookie attacker Jamie Ortega added 135 leaderboard points to her early total after netting three goals with an assist. Ortega, who registered her first hat trick as a professional, scored two of her three goals in the first half.
Midfielder Kelly McPartland and attacker Scottie Rose Growney each netted two goals in the loss for Team Waters, while goalkeeper Caylee Waters tallied seven saves.
Trailing by a 6-3 margin with 2:19 remaining in the second quarter, Team Glynn used goals from five different players to take an 8-6 advantage it did not relinquish. Team Waters narrowed the margin to 8-7 on a goal by midfielder Kelly McPartland with 1:31 remaining, but was unable to even the score.
With her 168 points, Glynn rose 20 spots up the leaderboard and enters the final day of the opening weekend in 16th place. McPartland’s efforts elevated her to the No. 19 spot, a seven-position improvement from Thursday night.
Team Glynn outshot Team Waters, 24-22 … However, Team Waters owned a 13-11 edge in ground balls and an 11-7 draw control advantage.
Team Waters was held without a goal for 20 minutes, 50 seconds, spanning over the second, third and fourth quarters.
Four different players registered two caused turnovers in the contest.
Neither team attempted a free-position shot.
Midfielder Marie McCool led all players with four ground balls and seven draw controls.
- #1 – Kady Glynn (Team Glynn, +45)
- #2 – Jamie Ortega (Team Glynn, +30)
- #3 – Ally Mastroianni (Team Glynn, +15)
All the deals during the Athletes Unlimited Black Friday sale
Valentin-Anderson and Lowe lead team in defeat of Team Drews
Get in the Game
Join The Unlimited Club to unlock benefits for every Athletes Unlimited season by downloading the official Athletes Unlimited App.
- Exclusive Pre-Sale Window
- Access to the Athletes Unlimited App and Fan Leaderboard
- Receive Special Member Giveaways
- Newsletter -- the best way to stay up to date with the latest Athletes Unlimited news
- Unlimited Pick athlete news & access
Rookie benefits, plus:
- Founding Member Designation
- Contribute 10% to the Athlete Bonus Pool
- Club Vote: Vote on Game MVPs, GEICO Defensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year & more
- Early Access to Tickets
- Exclusive end of season auction with game-used items with 90% of funds going to the Athlete Causes program and 10% going to the Player Bonus Pool