Get to know 2024 Athletes Unlimited Pro Basketball athlete Angel McCoughtry.
McCoughtry is a guard/forward from Baltimore, Maryland who was the first pick in the 2009 WNBA. She spent over a decade with the Atlanta Dream and is a five-time WNBA All-Star. McCoughtry won gold medals with Team USA at the 2012 London Olympics and the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics.
1. What made you want to play with AU Hoops?
There was no announcement of me ever retiring, which means I’m still playing. I want to play basketball.
2. What do you think is the strongest aspect of your game right now?
Intelligence and leadership in the locker room, [and my] athleticism.
3. What inspired you to expand your business ventures into ice cream?
Ice cream is my favorite dessert. I could eat it every day but I try not to so I won’t be out of shape. I wanted to do more in the community and use ice cream and basketball to give back. People are happiest around ice cream.
4. You’re a businesswoman, musician, and owner of an entertainment company. How has basketball helped open these doors and encouraged you personally to try new things and take risks?
I have always been a risk taker and it’s the risks you don’t take in life that are the problem! Basketball helped me with my confidence. How to grow as a woman, become a leader, and work in a team-like setting. All the tools you need to be in business and be successful.
Maddy Siegrist returns to Dallas for first AU Pro Basketball campaign
Image Courtesy of Villanova Athletics
Sydney Colson: From potential retirement to two-time WNBA Champion
© Athletes Unlimited, LLC 2023 / Credit: Jade Hewitt Media
Join the Unlimited Club
Unlock exclusive benefits with your FREE membership
- Follow Your Favorite Sports
- Enjoy Virtual Fan Events
- Chat on the Community Board
- Vote for Game MVP, Seasonal Awards
- Play in the AU Fantasy League