SPARKS, Md. – New year, same stellar performance from attacker Sam Apuzzo.
After surging to the No. 3 position on the leaderboard during Athletes Unlimited Lacrosse’s inaugural season a summer ago, the former Boston College standout was at her best again in Thursday night’s opener, striking for two goals and four assists while leading her squad to a 14-10 victory over Team Glynn at USA Lacrosse Headquarters.
Apuzzo, who finished the 2021 campaign with 1,685 leaderboard points, opened her 2022 account with 179 leaderboard points, which included 30 points as the MVP 2 selection.
Midfielder Amanda Johansen added 155 leaderboard points in the win for Team Apuzzo. While she only registered one goal, she used three ground balls, two caused turnovers and a game-high six draw controls to build her total.
Rookie attacker Lauren Gilbert, who earned MVP 1 honors, added a game-high four goals in a winning effort, while rookie midfielder Ally Mastroianni netted three goals in the loss for Team Glynn.
After the teams traded a pair of goals to open the contest, Team Apuzzo scored five of the next six goals to take a 7-3 lead on a marker by midfielder Alyssa Parrella with 6:03 remaining in the second quarter. Team Apuzzo never trailed by fewer than three points in the second half to secure the first win of the young season.
Apuzzo extended her goal scoring streak to 16 consecutive games, dating back to last season … However, her streak of six straight hat tricks came to an end after being limited to two goals on six shots.
Apuzzo matched her Athletes Unlimited career high with her six-point outing … She also had six points against Team Wood on July 31, 2021, after scoring five goals with one assist.
Apuzzo notched her 12th multi-goal game in Athletes Unlimited play.
Attacker Halle Majorana registered the first hat trick of her Athletes Unlimited career after scoring three goals in the loss for Team Glynn … The former Syracuse standout also authored her fourth career multi-goal effort.
Both teams started rookie goalkeepers in the contest … Taylor Moreno notched six saves in just under 27 minutes for Team Apuzzo, while Paulina DiFatta tallied two stops in just under 14 minutes of action.
Johansen scored the first two-point goal of the season, converting a feed from rookie attacker Sam Geiersbach with 4:05 left in the second quarter.
Team Glynn outshot Team Apuzzo, 27-26, but was edged out on draw controls by a 14-13 margin.
Neither team attempted a free position shot in the contest.
- #1 – Lauren Gilbert (Team Apuzzo, +45)
- #2 – Sam Apuzzo (Team Apuzzo, +30)
- #3 – Ally Mastroianni (Team Glynn, +15)
Osterman's shutout secures No. 1 captain spot and leads Team Warren to victory
Athletes Unlimited x Playa Society: A perfect collaboration of fashion, action, empowerment
Kalei Mau dedicates season to niece Haumea
Get in the Game
Join The Unlimited Club to unlock benefits for every Athletes Unlimited season by downloading the official Athletes Unlimited App.
- Exclusive Pre-Sale Window
- Access to the Athletes Unlimited App and Fan Leaderboard
- Receive Special Member Giveaways
- Newsletter -- the best way to stay up to date with the latest Athletes Unlimited news
- Unlimited Pick athlete news & access
Rookie benefits, plus:
- Founding Member Designation
- Contribute 10% to the Athlete Bonus Pool
- Club Vote: Vote on Game MVPs, GEICO Defensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year & more
- Early Access to Tickets
- Exclusive end of season auction with game-used items with 90% of funds going to the Athlete Causes program and 10% going to the Player Bonus Pool
MVP benefits, plus:
- Access to Ticket Concierge
- Athlete-used item contest*
- On-site Meet & Greets with athletes
- Preferred Parking**
- Player-only item, such as a backpack or hat
- Unlimited Pick: Signed Item***
- *More details to come
- **When available
- ***Once per year, only for Captain members