SAN DIEGO — Team Fischer had an opportunity to become the first team in AUX Softball to post a perfect 4-0 series when it took the field against Team Gibson in Monday’s opener at SDSU Softball Stadium.
But, the squad wasn’t just satisfied with the unblemished record and went on to turn in the first shutout in AUX Softball history with a 3-0 blanking of Team Gibson.
Rookie pitcher Mariah Mazon teamed up with Sydney Littlejohn Watkins and Danielle O’Toole to limit Team Gibson to just three hits and 110 total team points. Mazon, making her first professional start, scattered three hits over 3.0 innings with two strikeouts. The Oregon State product posted 216 leaderboard points, including 60 points with the MVP 1 honor.
Littlejohn Watkins, who earned the win in relief, threw 3.0 scoreless innings with two strikeouts and one walk, while O’Toole pitched a perfect sixth frame. Littlejohn Watkins and O’Toole finished with 156 and 132 points, respectively.
Middle infielder Sydney Romero and corner infielder Amanda Chidester each added two hits to pace the Team Fischer offense.
Three players registered a hit apiece in the loss for Team Gibson. Pitcher Alyssa Denham took the loss after allowing three runs on five hits in 4.1 innings with one strikeout.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Designated player Taylor Edwards gave Team Fischer a 1-0 lead in the second inning after leading off the frame with a solo blast to right field. Team Fischer added a pair of runs in the fifth inning for a 3-0 advantage.
Team Gibson was limited to just 110 total stat points and failed to win a single inning. The victory allowed Team Fischer to take over the top nine spots on the leaderboard pending the outcome of Monday’s second game between Team Mulipola and Team Gibson.
Team Fischer became the first team in AUX Softball history to post a shutout after limiting Team Gibson to just three hits … It is the eighth shutout in AU Softball history (AUX and Championship Season combined) … There were three clean sheets posted in the inaugural 2020 campaign before four shutouts last summer.
Edwards became the third player to lead off an inning with a home run after her solo shot to open the second inning gave Team Fischer a 1-0 lead.
Team Gibson challenged the call of a double play with no outs in the top of the third inning … The call was upheld.
Team Fischer challenged an out call made on Zerkle’s at-bat in the fifth inning, which was upheld.
Outfielder Victoria Hayward ran her hitting streak to five games after going 1-for-4 with a run scored … However, her string of four straight multi-hit efforts came to an end.
- #1 – Mariah Mazon (Team Fischer, +60)
- #2 – Taylor Edwards (Team Fischer, +40)
- #3 – Sydney Romero (Team Fischer, +20)
Lacrosse Week 4 Draft: Meet the Week 4 Teams
Warren notches 190 points in 4-2 victory for captain spot
Get in the Game
Join The Unlimited Club to unlock benefits for every Athletes Unlimited season by downloading the official Athletes Unlimited App.
- Exclusive Pre-Sale Window
- Access to the Athletes Unlimited App and Fan Leaderboard
- Receive Special Member Giveaways
- Newsletter -- the best way to stay up to date with the latest Athletes Unlimited news
- Unlimited Pick athlete news & access
Rookie benefits, plus:
- Founding Member Designation
- Contribute 10% to the Athlete Bonus Pool
- Club Vote: Vote on Game MVPs, GEICO Defensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year & more
- Early Access to Tickets
- Exclusive end of season auction with game-used items with 90% of funds going to the Athlete Causes program and 10% going to the Player Bonus Pool
MVP benefits, plus:
- Access to Ticket Concierge
- Athlete-used item contest*
- On-site Meet & Greets with athletes
- Preferred Parking**
- Player-only item, such as a backpack or hat
- Unlimited Pick: Signed Item***
- *More details to come
- **When available
- ***Once per year, only for Captain members