The squad exploded for a season-high 13 runs, including seven in the first two innings, en route to completing a three-game sweep with its 13-8 victory over Team Harshman to open Sunday’s Athletes Unlimited Softball twinbill.
Outfielder Erika Piancastelli blasted her way to MVP 1 honors and 210 leaderboard points after going 3-for-4 with a grand slam and five runs batted in. Catcher Dejah Mulipola, the game’s MVP 3 choice, rose to the top of the leaderboard after adding a single and a double with four runs batted in to claim 140 leaderboard points.
Catcher Taylor Edwards secured MVP 2 notice in the loss for Team Harshman, going 2-for-4 with a two-run home run and an RBI single. Edwards fashioned 120 leaderboard points for her efforts.
Relief pitcher Sydney Littlejohn Watkins earned her second win of the season in the circle after allowing two runs on four hits over 2.0 innings of work. Danielle Watson (0-2) took the loss after giving up seven runs, including six earned runs, over 1.1 innings with seven hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
After taking the early 1-0 lead on an RBI single by first baseman Amanda Chidester in the first inning, Team Mulipola erupted for six runs on six hits in the second frame for a 7-0 lead. The team sent 11 batters to the plate in the frame and had seven straight hitters reach base.
Mulipola, Chidester and outfielder Haylie McCleney took over the top three spots on the leaderboard heading into the Week Two finale between Team Eberle and Team Jaquish. Meanwhile, Piancastelli had an 18-spot improvement on the leaderboard with her 210 points on Sunday afternoon.
McCleney, who went 2-for-3 with four runs scored, had a streak of reaching base in nine consecutive plate appearances snapped with a flyout to right field in the bottom of the sixth inning … During the streak, which spanned two games, she was 5-for-5 with four walks.
Piancastelli’s grand slam in the fifth inning was the third in Athletes Unlimited Softball Championship Season play, including her second career grand slam … Piancastelli also had the last grand slam on Sept. 5, 2021, against Team Jaquish.
There were a season-high 21 runs scored between the two teams in Sunday’s game, upping the league season total to 109 runs through 11 games … Aspiration has committed to plant 10 trees for every run scored this season as part of its “Aspiration Round the Bases” initiative.
The game was completed in 2 hours, 45 minutes, marking the longest game by time this season.
The teams combined to leave 13 runners on base and had nine total extra-base hits.
- #1 – Erika Piancastelli (Team Mulipola, +60)
- #2 – Taylor Edwards (Team Harshman, +40)
- #3 – Dejah Mulipola (Team Mulipola, +20)
- Athletes Unlimited inks Agreements with MSG Networks, NESN and Altitude Sports to Rebroadcast Seven Inaugural Softball League Games
- Cassidy Lichtman's resiliency led her to a career across the world
- Cloud, Carrington, Brown lead Team Cloud in 105-94 win
- Jazmyn Jackson named first winner of Athletes Unlimited Civic Leadership Award Presented by EY
Athletes Unlimited inks Agreements with MSG Networks, NESN and Altitude Sports to Rebroadcast Seven Inaugural Softball League Games
Cassidy Lichtman's resiliency led her to a career across the world
Cloud, Carrington, Brown lead Team Cloud in 105-94 win
Get in the Game
Join The Unlimited Club to unlock benefits for every Athletes Unlimited season by downloading the official Athletes Unlimited App.
- Exclusive Pre-Sale Window
- Access to the Athletes Unlimited App and Fan Leaderboard
- Receive Special Member Giveaways
- Newsletter -- the best way to stay up to date with the latest Athletes Unlimited news
- Unlimited Pick athlete news & access
Rookie benefits, plus:
- Founding Member Designation
- Contribute 10% to the Athlete Bonus Pool
- Club Vote: Vote on Game MVPs, GEICO Defensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year & more
- Early Access to Tickets
- Exclusive end of season auction with game-used items with 90% of funds going to the Athlete Causes program and 10% going to the Player Bonus Pool