Every year, The Civic Leadership Award recognizes one Athletes Unlimited athlete for their civic leadership efforts both during the season and in the off-season.
Any athlete that played during the 2021 season and demonstrated their civic leadership is eligible for the award. The athletes are nominated by themselves or their peers, and these nominations speak to the depth of civic leadership activities they are involved in both outside and within Athletes Unlimited programs.
The 2021 nominees include Aleshia Ocasio (Softball), Gwen Svekis (Softball), Jazmyn Jackson (Softball), Mira Shane (Lacrosse), Britt Brown (Lacrosse), Kristen Tupac (Volleyball), Molly McCage (Volleyball), Sareea Freeman (Volleyball) and Cassidy Lichtman (Volleyball).
“One of the biggest reasons that I joined AU in the first place was because it was about more than just playing volleyball,” Lichtman said. “And, I would say that the part about playing volleyball is also a matter of civic engagement. Teaching young girls that they can be in the spotlight, that they can be strong and confident, that they can exist in a traditionally male space, that they deserve to be invested in (and teaching young boys that that’s true of young girls), is going to create future civic leaders.”
The recipient of the 2021 Civic Leadership Award will be selected by a voting committee, comprised of members of the Athletes Unlimited Advisory Board: journalist Taylor Rooks, former President of the United States Tennis Association Katrina Adams, ESPN broadcaster and four-time first-team All-American Softball player Jessica Mendoza; Head of Brand Development at SC30 Hillary Awad; and EY Representative Tristan Cammaert.
The winner will be announced on April 1 during that day’s volleyball matches.
- Imani McGee-Stafford: Purpose, erasing the mental-health stigma, and being a voice
- Athletes Unlimited to host inaugural Lacrosse College Draft on June 8
- Athletes Unlimited Signs Agreement with Olympic Channel to Stream All 30 Softball Games Live to Nearly 200 Countries Worldwide
- Preview: The final battle for the top spots on the leaderboard begins
Imani McGee-Stafford: Purpose, erasing the mental-health stigma, and being a voice
Athletes Unlimited to host inaugural Lacrosse College Draft on June 8
Athletes Unlimited Signs Agreement with Olympic Channel to Stream All 30 Softball Games Live to Nearly 200 Countries Worldwide
Get in the Game
Join The Unlimited Club to unlock benefits for every Athletes Unlimited season by downloading the official Athletes Unlimited App.
- Exclusive Pre-Sale Window
- Access to the Athletes Unlimited App and Fan Leaderboard
- Receive Special Member Giveaways
- Newsletter -- the best way to stay up to date with the latest Athletes Unlimited news
- Unlimited Pick athlete news & access
Rookie benefits, plus:
- Founding Member Designation
- Contribute 10% to the Athlete Bonus Pool
- Club Vote: Vote on Game MVPs, GEICO Defensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year & more
- Early Access to Tickets
- Exclusive end of season auction with game-used items with 90% of funds going to the Athlete Causes program and 10% going to the Player Bonus Pool
MVP benefits, plus:
- Access to Ticket Concierge
- Athlete-used item contest*
- On-site Meet & Greets with athletes
- Preferred Parking**
- Player-only item, such as a backpack or hat
- Unlimited Pick: Signed Item***
- *More details to come
- **When available
- ***Once per year, only for Captain members